Welcome To Certified Hosting – Getting Started
Congratulations on your new shared web hosting account. We have put together some steps to guide you through the getting started process. If at any time you need assistance with any of these steps, just hit the LIVE CHAT at the top of our website.
Step 1: Determine Your Starting Point
Although this process can appear complicated at first glance, it’s really easy to get going once you determine your beginning point.
- Do you have an existing web site or are you starting from scratch?
- If you’re starting from scratch, go to step 2 below.
- Do you need to transfer your web site files from a previous host?
- If so, Certified Hosting is happy to offer this service to you for FREE!
- Please visit http://certifiedhosting.com/transfer.
- Once the transfer process is completed, proceed to step 2.
Step 2: Change Your DNS/Update Your Name Servers
In order for your website to appear online, you must update your name servers to point to Certified Hosting. This is required step you must follow to get started.
- If you registered your domain name with Certified Hosting during the ordering process, this is already taken care of for you.
- If you have registered your domain name with another company (i. e. GoDaddy, Register.com, Network Solutions, etc.), you must follow the steps shown here
Once your DNS changes have been made, it takes roughly 24-48 hours for your web site to start resolving to Certified Hosting servers. To avoid downtime during the move, please read our moving page. If it takes longer than two days for your web site to start working, please contact our support team.
Step 3: Getting Your Website Online
If you have an existing website, you can begin uploading to your account now by using an FTP Client or cPanel’s File Manager.
- If you are using an FTP client, put in your site’s IP address under the "FTP address" field. Use the username and password sent to you in your welcome email. FTP always runs on Port 21.
- Once your FTP is connected, go into the "public_html" folder and begin uploading your site. To replace the default place holder page, you must upload an index.html in all lowercase lettering or delete the page and replace it with your own index page.
- Please note that by default, you do not have an email address setup with Certified Hosting. You will need to configure this yourself in cPanel (link below).
If you do not have web site files to upload and you need to create a new website from scratch, please use our Site Builder. We have several templates to choose from. You can get a basic website online in about 5 minutes using the Site Builder. Site Builder is located inside you cPanel.
Step 4: How To Check Your Web Site Online
There is a period of time that is referred to as "Propagation". Propagation refers to the amount of time it takes for all the DNS servers everywhere around the world to recognize the fact that either a new domain is being registered, a domain name has been changed, or that the authority for that domain has changed. Propagation and it can take upwards of 24-48 hours to complete.
- "After propagation" is once your site is up and running normally.
- During propagation you should use the "Before propagation" format.
|Place:||Before Propagation:||After Propagation:|
|Web Site||See Below||http://yourdomain.com|
If you want to see your website LIVE before the propagation period has ended, this will require some changes on your local computer settings. You will need to update your "host file". Don’t worry, it doesn’t sound as hard as you think.
- On a Windows-based system, the hosts file is usually found at C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
- Open the file named "hosts" with a text editor (notepad), and simply add another entry at the end.
- For example, if your domain name is www.fred.com and your IP Address is 123.456.78.90, you would enter the following:123.456.78.90 www.fred.com. Please make sure you are using the IP address assigned to your domain as indicated your welcome email.
- Once you have done this, all requests for www.fred.com from your computer will not query a DNS server, instead they will go directly to the IP address specified. Because it will not try to contact a DNS server it will speed up the accessing time.
NOTE: When saving the hosts file, make sure you don’t include any file extension – hosts.txt (if Notepad wants to add an extension, select Save as type "All files", not "Text Documents").
Step 5: We are Here to Help!
Certified Hosting is available 24/7/365 for any assistance you may need. We are dedicated to providing the most excellent service and support in the web hosting industry. Our friendly and knowledgeable team are here for your convenience at all times.
Make sure to check out our informative knowledge base. We have many articles that address commonly asked questions and issues, including useful tutorials and video tours of some of our most popular features.
Video Tutorials – We have a video tutorial for just about anything you can think of. What to start a blog? We have a tutorial for that! Check them all out here
When to use Live Chat support:
Live Chat is a great quick communication tool to use if you’re looking for answers to simple questions and problems. Our chat staff is more than happy to help you troubleshoot and understand issues relating to email, your control panel, FTP, etc. They can also help you with many sales and billing questions and explain most Certified Hosting policies and procedures.
Please understand that most technical support requests will require a ticket to be opened. We cannot perform password or account changes over Live Chat. All requests of this nature must in writing via a Support Ticket.
When to open a Support Ticket:
If you feel your issue is more complicated and more technical than an average question, we suggest that you open a support ticket.
Immediately after you open a support ticket, you will receive an email confirming we have received your request and be issued a Ticket ID. This means your request is now in our 24/7 support queue. If you do not receive this email, we did not receive your support ticket. Opening a support ticket is best place to go to get your complicated issues resolved in the quickest way possible.
Here are some helpful suggestions when using our ticket system:
- Only submit one ticket per issue. If you submit multiple tickets for the same issue, your requests will go further down the queue.
- Always be sure to include your primary domain name, username, and as much detail as possible. If a login or URL is needed to duplicate the problem, please include that as well. The more detail you provide, the faster we can resolve your issue.
When to call for support:
We are available 24/7/365 over the phone. We can address most of your basic issues and concerns.
Please understand that most technical support requests will require a ticket to be opened. We cannot perform password or account changes over the phone. All requests of this nature must in writing via a Support Ticket.
Step 6: Manage Your Billing
Certified Hosting provides a Billing Admin Area that you can access 24/7 to make updates and changes to your client account. Here are some of the tasks that you can perform from inside the Billing Admin
- Update your personal information (address, phone, email, etc.
- Add additional contacts to your account
- Update your credit card information
- View/Print invoices
- View/Print payment receipts
- View all emails regarding your billing that have been sent to you
- Upgrade your account or add on additional services
- Cancel your account
If need assistance in other areas, you can always open a support request with the Billing/Admin department.
Step 7: Certified Incentives
Certified Hosting offers many money saving options and incentives. We enjoy getting to know our clients better and saving you money any chance we get!